Table of contents
Siwa Oasis is located in the Western Desert between Qattara Depression and Great Sand Sea, about 560 km from Cairo. It is inhabited by about 33 thousand people who speak their own Siwa language, Arabic and many other languages due to the influx of tourists for the purpose of tourism in its various forms.
What the people of Siwa Oasis is better known for
One of the most famous crafts that the people of Siwa do is agriculture, due to the availability of suitable factors in the surrounding environment, like cultivating olives, dates and mallow.
Most important attractions in Siwa
In Siwa, there are many places and tourist resorts, such as:
- The Temple of Amun: In which the sun perpendicular twice a year to the room of the Holy of Holies, one of which called the vernal equinox and is at the end of March, and the other is in the autumnal equinox at the end of September. It is one of the most important archaeological sites in Siwa, as it was famous in the past due to the fulfillment of many of the prophecies of its priests, the most famous of which was after Alexander the Great visited the priest of the temple and asked him about the rule of Egypt, and the priest answered that he would rule Egypt, but for a short period, then Alexander the Great took over the rule of Egypt.
- Cleopatra’s Pool: There are many water springs in Siwa Oasis, but the most important of them is Cleopatra’s Pool, it is famous for some myths, such as that Cleopatra swam in it, Cleopatra’s Pool is distinguished by the fact that the water is cold in summer and warm in winter.
- Fortress of Shali: One of the most important shrines in Siwa, as it is one of the oldest places in Siwa, most of its people lived there for more than 700 years, but they had to leave it after a strong torrent occurred, and it has now become a destination for most tourists to see the old houses, made of Karshif, and the fortress.
- Fatnis Island: It is one of the most suitable places to see and enjoy the sunset, there is a spring of water surrounded by trees and palms, and the water temperature is suitable to be enjoyed at any time during the year.
- Gabal Dakrur: one of the most famous mountains because it is one of the most important therapeutic places in the Siwa Oasis due to its hot and soft sand that is recommended by doctors, many festivals are held on it, including the Feast of Peace or the Feast of Tourism, which is one of the oldest festivals that take place more than 120 years ago in the month of October on lunar nights, and its most important feature is watching sunset and sunrise throughout the year.
- Siwa House Museum: It was established for the purpose of preserving the Siwa heritage and the customs and traditions of the people of the oasis, it was established by a grant from the Canadian government after the Canadian ambassador visited it and admired the oasis and its people, it was opened in 1990. Siwa House Museum was built in the old style of the houses in the oasis, and there are various handicrafts of the people of the oasis, such as handmade carpets, pottery, musical instruments, tea and cooking utensils, and clothes for the people of the oasis and their occasions.
- Taghaghien Island: It is an island in the middle of Lake Siwa and includes a spring of water and accommodations in which you may stay for one day. It is a place for fans of calm and relaxation, as it provides comfort.
- Mountain of the Dead: It was called by this name because it was considered the main cemetery in Siwa in ancient times, and was discovered during World War II, there are many tombs therein.
- Siwa Salt Lakes: There are four main lakes in Siwa, Al-Zaytoun Oasis, Aghurmi, Al-Maraqi, and Siwa, there are more than 60 million tons of salt in them, so the water is very salty, which makes you float on the water, and doctors recommend it for therapeutic reasons.
Most famous restaurants and dishes in Siwa Oasis
- Abdu Restaurant: It is one of the most important and famous restaurants in Siwa, and one of the tourist attractions in the oasis. It is distinguished by its remarkable decoration using tree trunks and palm trees. Abdu Restaurant is located in the market square, it serves distinctive Egyptian food, including dishes cooked in the Siwa way, among the most famous foods are Mulukhiyah, chicken pane and chicken.
- Kenooz Restaurant: It is one of the most famous restaurants, among the most famous foods served therein are Siwi Mulukhiyah and chicken with olives.
- Ali Alewa Restaurant: One of the most famous places that cooks food in the Abu Mardam way and serves different types of food, including chicken, duck, meat, and the most famous drink Louisa tea.
- Al-Babinshal Restaurant: It is located at the top of the Albabenshal Hotel and overlooks Fortress of Shali. It is one of the most famous romantic restaurants in the oasis.
- Shahrazad Cafe & Restaurant: One of the most important places where you can enjoy and spend time with your friends, and watch a movie or match, it serves different types of food and drinks.
- Nour El Waha Restaurant: One of the most important things that distinguishes it is the decoration and remarkable food, such as Siwa food and Egyptian food like pizza.
Most famous hotels and accommodations in Siwa
- There are many resorts and hotels in Siwa that provide a unique stay for all tourists, the most important of which are the Dream Lodge Hotel, Albabenshal Lodge Siwa, Taghaghien Island Resort, Taziry Ecovillages Siwa, Siwa Safari Gardens Hotel, Siwa Shali Resort, Desert Ecolodge, Grand siwa home, Talist Siwa, and Qasr El salam.